On average, independent living for seniors will cost $3,750 per month, with prices typically ranging from $1,500-$6,000. Costs will very much depend on quality of facility and location, according to WhereYouLiveMatters.
Paying For Independent Living
A typical service rate will cost between $1,000-$10,000 per month. There is generally a one-time fee that comes with independent living, ranging from $500-$1,500. Anyone thinking of a potential move to one of these communities should first think of the finances associated with such a move. Many seniors share a common fear of their retirement savings simply not being enough for the long term.
Independent living can be compared to an investment, so don’t let the initial sticker price scare you from this living situation. Do research by comparing multiple communities and facilities, then create a budget that you are comfortable with.
Independent Living Costs
Here are typical costs associated with independent living communities:
- Utilities, not including telephone services and/or expanded cable packages
- Daily/weekly housekeeping
- Scheduled activities
- Transportation services
- 1 to 3 meals per day
- Emergency systems
Other fees that could come with independent living communities include:
- Guest meals
- Guest apartments
- Unscheduled transportation
- Extra activities
- Concierge services
How To Find Independent Living Communities
You might think it would be tough at first, but finding a retirement community that fits your individual personality and lifestyle in 2018 is getting easier than ever. New retirement communities are popping up all over the place at a rapid rate. However, we know that choosing the right retirement home can be tough, and for that reason, we put together this guide to help you know what to look for.
- Check the location’s temperature. Climate is considered to be one of the most important factors when choosing retirement communities. Do some research about your destination to make sure you can handle weather changes. For example, the average temperature in Peoria, Arizona reaches around 71.95°F, with a high average temperature of 86.4°F and a low average temperature of 57.5°F .
- Feel the vibe. Every community will have its own vibe or character. One of the best ways of figuring out the vibe of the community is to talk to the residents. This will also help you get to know your potential neighbors. This would also be a great chance to ask the facility director what kind of amenities and activities they offer. Vista Winds offers a full monthly calendar of fun activities you can enjoy including Live entertainment, movies in our state-of-art theater and more.
- Plan for future medical needs. Health should be your first consideration as you age. Most communities in the Peoria will offer a variety of advantages, but not everyone of them can provide the right medical care for your individual needs. Before transitioning into a new community, check to make sure that all of your medical needs can be met in the future, whether your health declines or not. Vista Winds offers retirement communities for nearly any stage of your retirement transition, independent living, assisted living and memory care with care givers on staff 24 hours a day.
- Determine Your Budget. You want to choose a retirement community that fits your budget. After all the long hard years to grow retirement fund you want to make sure your savings can cover retirement community costs. Seeking the help of a professional financial planner could be one way to find out. Some communities will have monthly fee increases annually. Be sure to ask facilities how often and how much they change their rates every year.
- Make a checklist. Having a checklist will help you remember what types of questions you should be asking retirement communities. Depending on the level of care you need, you will need a specific checklist for each of the different types of retirement communities. Feel free to download our help independent living checklist, assisted living checklist or memory care checklist.
- Take a look at the activity calendar. Every community will most likely have an activity calendar with a list of activities planned out for the month. Be sure to check and make the activities are ones that you would enjoy. Most communities will offer activities, like tennis, gold and swimming. Staying involved in activities is a great way to stay fit while and maintain good health. Vista Winds offers many activities, including golf, swimming, live entertainment and more.
- Learn the rules. Most facilities will have rules and regulation that residents much follow. For example, some retirement homes do not allow pets. Others might have rules about smoking cigarettes or grilling food outdoors. It is wise to research the facility you are interested in to find out what rules they might have and if those rules line up with your lifestyle. Vista Winds does allow pets and reasonable rules for residents to follow.
- Security and safety. Most facilities have care givers on staff around the clock to ensure the health and safety of residents. Furthermore, some facilities, like Vista Winds for instance, offer gated entries for your security and privacy, as well as care givers on staff 24 hours a day in case of emergencies. We even provide free housekeeping twice a month and free laundry facilities.
- Local Tax Rates. Some communities are more tax friendly than others. The local tax rates in your area are an important consideration when thinking about investing in a specific retirement community. These taxes can be a burden to carry. Make sure and speak the facility owner or director so you know what kind of taxes or additional yearly fees to expect.
- Signing The Agreement. Before you sign the leasing agreement, be sure that you know what to expect from the community and that they community knows what to expect from you. If you’ve never lived at a retirement community before, you will be surprised to know that some facilities have rules about decorating your home, parking your car and more. Vista Winds will let you know all of the rules upfront so you know what to expect before moving into our faculty.
- “Understand your financing options. For a senior purchasing the best retirement community, it is certainly possible if you are paying in cash. If it’s not the case, you should understand your financial options. This may include mortgage tax.” 
- Pros and Cons. Create a pros and cons list to help make it easier to choose a retirement home. Having a list of what you liked and what you didn’t like will make the decision a little bit easier. This way you can find out which facility works for your individual personality and lifestyle the best.
Vista Winds Is An Upscale Retirement Community Located In Peoria, Arizona
If you are doing research about retirement communities in Peoria, Arizona, Vista Winds Retirement Home should definitely be on your list. Vista Winds offers retirement living at its finest. We have a rich calendar of activities, meals prepared by a Chef and caregivers on staff 24 hours a day for your health and safety. We offer award winning independent living, assisted living and memory care services. Come tour our community to see how we are a step above the rest and how easy it is to Make Yourself at Home! Vista Winds is surrounded by amazing views and our resort style property will be sure to impress!
More Articles About Retirement
- How To Find A Retirement Community In Peoria, Arizona
- Easy Crafts For Seniors With Dementia
- Top 8 Low Stress Jobs After Retirement
- Can I Retire At 60 With 500K
- 55 Funny And Inspirational Quotes About Aging
- Retiring In Arizona Pros And Cons
- Cost Of Assisted Living In Arizona
- Independent Living Vs Assisted Living